Friday, March 12, 2010

Soup du Jour

First, just let me say that soups are not photogenic, at least for me, so there are no pictures to go with this post.

Soups were a staple in our house all winter, and even though the cold weather is finally making its exit (fingers crossed!) we're still continuing to enjoy them.  They're just such an easy way to use up some of the strange vegetables that make their way into my kitchen via Boston Organics (rutabega? kale? cabbage? turnips? what do I do with these?!).  I actually used to be intimidated by making soups, but now I have no idea why because they're just about as easy as it gets - throw everything in a pot and simmer until you want to eat it.  And, soups are versatile - don't have one ingredient?  No problem!  Substitute something similar or leave it out altogether, and the taste is usually not impaired.

Below are two wonderful soup recipes from my soup Bible, Moosewood Restaurant Daily Special.  I don't usually try to tackle dairy soups because I'm afraid of recipes where I have to heat milk or cream, but this one uses cream cheese and is just delicious.


Moroccan Root Vegetable Stew
Grade: A!  I was wary about this combination of spices, but it's so awesome!  A crowd pleaser, and an excellent winter recipe for when root vegetables abound.


Creamy Potato Cabbage Soup
Grade: A-  This is my latest solution to my cabbage problem (the heads just keep coming!) and it's a delightfully creamy soup with great natural flavor.  Would be great with some homemade croutons.

Morrocan Root Vegetable Stew
I never have all of these ingredients at once, so don't be afraid to just work with what you have!

1 1/2 tbps vegetable oil                                               4 c vegetable stock (or water)
2 c chopped onions                                                     1 c peeled, cubed sweet potato (or acorn squash, I use them interchangeably)
3 garlic cloves, minced                                                1 c peeled, diced turnips
2 c diced carrots                                                         1 c cubed potatoes
1/2 cup diced celery (leaves, too, if you like)               1 1/2 c peeled, diced rutabaga (can absorb spices, so use a little extra as needed)
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin                                               2 bay leaves
1 tsp paprika                                                              1/4 cup currants (I honestly don't even know what these are...)
1/2 tsp ground coriander                                            3 tbsp fresh lemon juice (garnish)
1 tsp salt                                                                    1/4 c chopped fresh cilantro (garnish)
1/8 tsp black pepper
pinch of cayenne

Heat the oil and saute the onions and garlic on medium heat for 5 minutes (soft onions, golden garlic - the usual).  Add carrots and celery and cook covered 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.  When carrots are soft, add the spices and cook, stirring constantly, 2-3 minutes.  Add the stock, sweet potatoes, turnips, potatoes, and rutabaga.  Cover, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and add bay leaves and currants.  Simmer 20 minutes.  Remove the bay leaves and enjoy!  For added thickness (I recommend this step): Puree 2 cups of the soup in a food processor and add back to the rest of the soup.  Stir in the lemon juice and cilantro before serving if desired (I can't vouch for that part - I've never used these).


Creamy Potato Cabbage Soup
I made this with my good old Savoy cabbage.

2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 c coarsely chopped onions
1 tsp ground caraway seeds (I don't stock these in my kitchen, so I used cumin instead)
1/2 tsp salt
4 c coarsely chopped green cabbage
2 c sliced potatoes
3 c vegetable stock (or water)
1 tsp dried dill (didn't have this either, so left it out)
4 oz cream cheese (or Neufchatel, whatever that is...)
salt, black pepper to taste

Heat the oil and cook the onions, caraway seeds and half the salt on medium heat, covered with occasional stirring, for 10 minutes.  Add the cabbage and remaining salt and cook covered, with occasional stirring, until the cabbage starts to wilt.  Add the potatoes and stock, cover and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the vegetables are tender.  Puree the soup in batches in a blender or food processor with the cream cheese.  Add salt/pepper to taste.

2 comments:

  1. Kale: trim excess stem and chop coarsely. sauté in skillet with high-heat oil (or bacon fat - that's what I use). Sprinkle in red pepper to taste. When leaves have just begun to wilt, add a couple dashes of lemon juice and white wine. Let cook 1-2 more minutes.

    Cabbage: the N.Y. Times had some yummy recipes. let me see if I can dig them up for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/health/series/recipes_for_health/cabbage/index.html

    ReplyDelete