Friday, March 12, 2010

Fabulous flax seeds

Flax seeds totally saved my butt last night, so I decided to give them their own feature on this little blog. 

I had a wicked cookie craving so I decided to whip up some oatmeal cookies, since they're fast and I had all the ingredients in the house already - or so I thought...  With half the ingredients already mixed together in my sugar-craving haze, I reached for the eggs only to find they were all gone (used up for some home made pasta that didn't go as planned the first time.)  I usually use this handy chart in the back of the Joy of Cooking to find substitutions, but there were no good ideas for eggs, so I was at the mercy of the internet.  This happened once before, and the internet suggested substituting 1 ripe banana/ 2 eggs, but that didn't work very well.  Option #2?  Well, actually this was more like 5 or 6 down on the lists of substitutes I found, but it worked so well!

1 egg = 1 tbsp ground flax seeds + 3 tbsp water; mix until gooey.

The cookies were so moist and delicious, I think I'll use this substituion every time!  Try this in your favorite cookie recipe and you, too, can pretend your cookies are actually super healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment